Feb 21, 2015

EZ Galaxy & Great Collision

Great Collision

EZ Galaxy

"EZ Galaxy" is the third puzzle I know from the "EZ" series by Doug Engel. And it is my least favorable from the group. "Great Collision" is actually representing the same idea (and is designed by the same person), with a few differences. But due to the fact that I would say one and the same things for both puzzles (I am always comparing them), I decided to review them together.
First, I would like to share my ratings for both puzzles and then explain why I like one of the two more than the other.

EZ Galaxy:
Idea: 4
Implementation: 2
Experience: 3
Difficulty: 2
Overall: 2.75

Great Collision
Idea: 4
Implementation: 5
Experience: 3
Difficulty: 2
Overall: 3.5

You can see the difference between these two - the design. Although "EZ Galaxy" seems to be more complex, because of the fact that the ball in the center has some spiral attachments to make it more attractive, I am not fancy of it. The only thing I like about its design is namely the ball and its attachments. The other three pieces are not appealing to me. While, "Great Collision" looks extremely great. I like its color, material, design and everything about it. The only "bad" thing I would say about this puzzle is that it is so tight and the solution must be executed very carefully, that one might think it could break any moment. (Hopefully, mine has not, and I hope it will never do.) But this is part of the fun in some puzzles, so not a big cons after all.
Everything else about these two puzzles seems to be almost the same. The solution is the same with one difference for "EZ Galaxy", which is not enough to make me like it more. The fun I had when solving these two puzzles was almost equal. In fact, I have solved these two pretty close in time - it was just a few days between working on each of them. I don't know if I have solved them with a big pause in time it would make any difference. But I definitely find "Great Collision" to be the better one.



If you happen to choose which one to buy, I would propose to go for "Great Collision", unless you do not care for the looks of the puzzles that much. Of course, this is my vision about the puzzles. You can share yours in the comments.
Finally, both could be found in PuzzleMaster, so, if interested in any, take a look at the information about them here:
EZ Galaxy
Great Collision

No comments:

Post a Comment